Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Five Love Languages

So I have always always wanted to read Gary Chapman's "The Five Love Languages".  I've been curious as to what my love language would be.  I came across the website in some crazy weird way and there was a 30 second assessment test.  So I thought...hm I've got 30 seconds.  Then that one wasn't good enough so I googled t and I found a quiz.  Do you remember when you were younger and you would do the quizzes in YM?  That is completely what it reminded me of.  So anyways after it was all said and done the 30 second one gave me the same results that the one that took me 15 minutes gave.  I completely 100% agree with the results too.  It says that my main love language is "words of affirmation".  I feel like someone appreciates me so much more when they tell me.  If I do something nice for someone I want them to tell me they appreciated or I'll dwell on it forever thinking that they didn't like it.  I love doing nice things for people!  I think it's because I love when people do sweet things for me!  For example, it was either Monday or Tuesday of last week I got a note in my mailbox at work from a girl in my small group.  I had a super super crappy week and that little note meant more to me than anything.  She didn't know anything that was going on but she did it just to let me know she had been thinking about me.  She doesn't work at my office so she had to get in her car and come over there just to give that to me.  I love that kind of stuff!  It makes me feel special!  So here is a little explanation of what the website says about "us" people!  Maybe this will help you when dealing with me! :)

Words of Affirmation
Mark Twain once said “I can live for two months on a good compliment.”  Verbal appreciation speaks powerfully to persons whose primary Love Language is “Words of Affirmation.”  Simple statements, such as, “You look great in that suit,” or “You must be the best baker in the world! I love your oatmeal cookies,” are sometimes all a person needs to hear to feel loved. Aside from verbal compliments, another way to communicate through “Words of Affirmation” is to offer encouragement.  Here are some examples: reinforcing a difficult decision; calling attention to progress made on a current project; acknowledging a person’s unique perspective on an important topic. If a loved one listens for “Words of Affirmation,” offering encouragement will help him or her to overcome insecurities and develop greater confidence.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I agree--- I definitely need words of affirmation as well. Not sure if it is my #1 though. Good post! :)

Julie said...

Words of Affirmation is a good one. Not sure what mine are - I think I did this awhile ago but can't remember.